The city of Agrigento originates
from the ancient Akragas, that colonists from the neighboring Gela
founded around 580 BC in a most favorable and fertile area. It is
situated in proximity to the Acropolis and Rupe Atenea hills.
The Valley of the Temples testifies,
dramatically, to Agrigento’s glorious past. Akragas was besieged
and set on fire by the Carthaginians – who would then become
close allies – in 406 BC. The Romans took it in 210 BC and
renamed it Agrigentum. Their rule was characterized by periods of
alternated fortune. The Arabs, who took it in 828, brought about
a social and demographic growth. Under the Normans, who ruled since
1087, the city achieved political importance; its bishop seat was
restored and re-organized and new important buildings such as the
cathedral and other fortifications were erected across the territory.
Agrigento also grew economically much due to important commercial
relationships with North-African countries.
A demographic decrease was recorded
in the following centuries (14th-17th), the power held first by
a few aristocratic families, then the clergy. A new phase of social
and economic prosperity would come in the 18th century.
Alessandria Della Rocca
Campobello Di Licata
Palma di Montechiaro
Sambuca Di Sicilia
San Biagio Platani
San Giovanni Gemini
S. Margherita di Belice
S. Stefano di Quisquina
Valle Dei Templi
Casa Natale Luigi Pirandello
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in english