city of Ribera is located in the province of Agrigento, at 223 metres
asl between the Verdura and Magazzolo valleys; it stands in the
so-called Plain of San Nicola, a former fiefdom that in the first
half of the 1600s belonged to the Prince of Paternò Luigi
Guglielmo Moncada. The Duke of Ferrandina Giuseppe di Toledo successively
became the Lord of the town that would annex many of the lands in
the surrounding area.
is the town’s main industry, notably involved in the cultivation
and marketing of the Washington Navel orange – here introduced
by emigrants returned from the United States – and strawberries.
Such businesses are enhanced both by excellent climatic and environmental
conditions and a supporting policy by the local authorities.
has much to offer both historically and artistically. Among its
major attractions are the birthhome of statesman Francesco Crispi,
the 1700’s Mother Church and the 1800’s Palazzo Municipale.
city surroundings are as much interesting. Only few kilometres away
are the ruins of the 1300’s Castle of Poggio Diana, consisting
of a battlemented circular tower and a square one. Originally built
by Guglielmo Peralta, the castle successively belonged to the Counts
of Luna. It has a dominant position over the gorge dug by the Verdura
River. A 13th century necropolis stands nearby, home to some thirty
close naturalistic sites are available for excursions. Among these
is the Borgo Bonsignore, a village founded under the Fascism –
as part of the “colonization” policy that encouraged
the creation of new villages – grown as a summer resort.
Platani river, the third Sicilian river, flows nearby. It has enormously
contributed to developing both farming and tourism in the area.
Its mouth has been designated as a Nature Reserve.