archaeological site of Eraclea Minoa is located in proximity to
Capo Bianco, on the edge of a hill overlooking the sea. At its foot,
is the beautiful beach of Capo Bianco, bordered by an impressive
– This was likely to be the earliest name of the settlement,
where, according to legend, Minos, ruler of Crete, would have pursued
and punished Dedalus for helping Ariadne and Theseus to find their
way out of the Labyrinth. And here Minos would be killed by the
Sican King Cocalus who had sheltered Theseus. Cocalus’ Reign
developed along the banks of the Platani river, Camico being its
capital city, that some scholars have identified as being Sant’Angelo
Muxaro, others as Caltabellotta.
city was supposedly founded in the 6th century BC by Greek colonists
from Selinunte. Following Greek colonizers probably added the name
Eraclea to the former Minoa. Taken by the Romans in the 3rd century
BC, the city was involved in numerous wars and eventually abandoned.
Ruins – The excavations, started in 1950, brought
to light remains of dwellings made of rough bricks, some still retaining
mosaic fragments, and of a theatre made of a particularly soft stone,
hence in a poor condition. A little Antiquarium displays a collection
of objects, mostly coming from the necropolis.
Beach – From Eraclea return to the road SP 115 Sciacca-Agrigento
and continue in direction of Agrigento. At the first exit follow
signs to Montallegro-Bove Marina, then to Montallegro Marina. A
road on the right side will show you the way to the sea.
is a beautiful and long beach marked at one end by the tall white
cliffs of the promontory and, to the south-west, by a large pine-grove.