was supposedly founded during the Greek Age and subsequently dominated,
as well as the entire surrounding territory, by Romans, Arabs and
Normans. It became a royal city under Frederick II. It saw a remarkable
prosperity in the 1600s and the 1700s, as testify many religious
and secular buildings of the time. Unfortunately many of them are
in a poor condition today. The city is dominated by the Chiaramonte
Castle, with its irregular form and enriched with a square tower,
mullioned-windows and a main doorway. The Norman Cathedral, largely
ruined, stands right of it. A fine portal in the Chiaramonte style
is only worth-seeing.
– It is the main street, running the length of the village
east/west and framed by lovely baroque buildings. On Cavour Square,
stands the Church of the Saviour, with its fine façade, and,
few tens of meters on, on Via Cannizzaro, the Chiesa di Santa Caterina,
built in 1366, refurbished in the 1700s and successively restored
to its original state. Its simple interior is enriched with an Arch
of Triumph in the Chiaramonte style. The Chiesa Madre, built in
the 1600s by the Jesuit Fathers, became such in 1867, when the city
cathedral was declared unsafe. It contains numerous works of art
from the old Mother Church. Left of the entrance is a nice baptismal
font dated 1424. The Palazzo Nicolò di Bari has a fine façade
made of tufa (a sand material), in the early Sicilian baroque style.
South of Via Dante is Piazza Garibaldi, surrounded by beautiful
buildings among which is the Palazzo S. Francesco, with a richly
decorated façade and, next to it, the former Convent of Friars
Minor Conventuals, with a lovely cloister.
Santuario di San Calogero stands at the end of Corso Umberto
I, the eastward continuation of Via Dante. A panoramic balcony in
front of the church provides a terrific view over the Paradiso Valley.
The church was erected in the 16th century and extensively refurbished
in the Baroque age. It contains a pink-marble piece of the Christ
at the Column, with red veins that almost resemble the blood from
his wounds. A grotto, within a crypt, is said to have been inhabited
by the saint, patron of Naro. At the altar is a statue of the Black
Saint, that is carried in procession on 18 June.
Catacombs are located along the Canale district, south
of the city. They mainly consist of rural sepulchres, among which
worth-mentioning is the Grotta delle Meraviglie, 20 metres long.
The Reggia di Cocalo – It is a ruined castle perched
atop an isolated peak, about 2km from the town. Its name, literally
translating as the royal palace derives from a legend according
to which here rose the mythologic reign of Cocalus.
Alessandria Della Rocca
Campobello Di Licata
Palma di Montechiaro
Sambuca Di Sicilia
San Biagio Platani
San Giovanni Gemini
S. Margherita di Belice
S. Stefano di Quisquina
Valle Dei Templi
Casa Natale Luigi Pirandello
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in english